Signs of Electrical Wiring Issues

Symptoms of Faulty Electrical Wiring at Your Home

Electrical wiring issues can cause significant problems in a home. While these can cause inconveniences like the inability to use electronics or turn on lights or appliances, they can also lead to safety hazards. Faulty wiring can cause dangerous situations for homes and families, like shocks and electrical fires.

Fortunately, these dangerous situations can be avoided if homeowners get routine electrical inspections and spot the signs of wiring problems early to schedule repairs immediately. Some symptoms of faulty wiring electrical contractors recommend watching for include frequently blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers, hot or scorched outlets, and burning smells or buzzing sounds.

Multiple Blown Fuses or Tripped Circuit Breakers

A tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse is one of the most noticeable – and disruptive – signs of wiring issues. If households frequently lose power and need to reset their circuit breakers or replace a blown fuse, it can indicate an electrical wiring problem that needs to be addressed.

If there’s a faulty wire, circuit breakers will trip, or a fuse will blow to protect the home, but it can also alert property owners to the problem so they know they need to take action and schedule services. While this can be annoying, it protects the house from significant risks, including fires.

Outlets Feel Hot or Look Burned

hot or scorched outletsWhen plugging devices into an electrical outlet, the outlet should not be hot to the touch, and there should not be visible burn or scorch marks. If an outlet looks burned or if the outlet or a plug feels hot when unplugging a device, it can indicate a wiring problem that needs to be repaired.

These outlet symptoms that can indicate faulty wiring may include:

  • Overheating outlets
  • Plugs feel hot after being in an outlet
  • Discoloration around the outlet or on the cover
  • Sparks coming from the outlet
  • Flickering lights when plugging in an electronic device

If any of these symptoms are noticed, property owners must call an electrician. A professional will inspect the electrical outlet and wiring to identify the issue as soon as possible so it can be repaired.

Buzzing Sounds or a Burning Smell

burning smellIf homeowners notice buzzing sounds or burning smells coming from electrical outlets or near any parts of the electrical system, it can also indicate a problem with the electrical wiring. Burning odors can be caused by issues like an overloaded outlet or circuit or damaged or exposed wiring. A smell like burning plastic could mean that the wire insulation is melting, which could cause a fire.

If households notice buzzing sounds coming from outlets or lights, it can indicate wiring issues, loose connections, fluctuations in the voltage, and other problems. When property owners notice buzzing sounds or burning odors, they should schedule an appointment with an electrician as soon as possible to keep their homes and families safe.

About Hunter Service Group

Hunter Service Group is a family-owned and operated heating, air conditioning, generator, and electrical company serving San Antonio and the surrounding areas. They offer customer education, financing, and a satisfaction guarantee. Call them today for electrical wiring repair and replacement in San Antonio, TX.